Transferring your IT asset is a delicate operation that requires a long and complex preparation by the IT department. To carry out this mission several steps are to be taken into account, such as inventory, transport, reinstallation of equipment, time, cost… All this and much more are essential tasks for the successful conduct of your IT move. Let’s take a closer look at the key steps involved in moving IT equipment.
Make an inventory of all your computer equipment
It is a step that may seem tedious and accessory. If I were you, I wouldn’t skip it. It is necessary, if you want to find your way on your new site of :
- Inventory all computer equipment and label it. You can also take a photo of the layout of the equipment to reproduce the same layout on the new site and minimize disruption to employees.
- Test the material, in fact it is useless to transport a defective material > Waste of time)
- Make a backup of your workstation data – on the cloud or on a hard disk or, on a USB key, at your convenience, however if on the contrary you want to take advantage of it to do a quick cleaning, it does not hurt either. Ensure the security of your data, your move must not leave any weakness that could affect you. To do this, I advise you to code the different stages with a level of security, so you will know which stages of the move are the most risky and you can entrust the appropriate team with this mission.
- Disconnect and unplug all your equipment, don’t forget to leave the cables with the stations (this will save you time during installation).
So much for the technical side, but also think about the human side. Often a move takes place at the weekend so as not to disrupt the production of employees and the life of the company. This imposes additional constraints on you such as:
- Foresee the on-call for an electrician, a breakdown of elevator, a problem of catch… it is not a Sunday that you will find easily and at the last moment an electrician. So think about it first.
- Mobilize and especially warn your team in advance, that they may be available, do not make them any bad surprises. You can also create an on-call schedule.
Once your checklist has been validated, you can finally proceed to the transport stage.
Transport your computer equipment
The choice of your carrier, whether it is a mover or a specialized company, will depend above all on the location of your new site but also on the fragility of your equipment.
If you need to move an entire infrastructure and data center, choose a company that will comply with strict measures to avoid accidents and shocks to devices and equipment.
Whatever your choice, it is imperative that you check the proper packaging and traceability of the material.
Reinstallation of equipment
The most difficult stage, which can reserve bad surprises and this in spite of a good preparation. Waiters don’t like change too much. Often, it is necessary to re-configure the network part of your equipment.
Here is the most classic order of hardware reinstallation:
- We start by configuring the network of the new site (gateway, routers, switches, patch bays, etc.), this step can be done before the move provided you buy network equipment.
- Then comes the time to start the servers, make sure they are working properly and if the IP address has changed, re-configure their IP.
- Then finally workstations and printers that usually recover their network configurations via DHCP, hence the importance of starting your various servers first.
As during a deployment, it takes a long time to restart the workstations, especially the wiring, peripheral installation, etc.
As we have seen in the inventory section, date and time are two very important parameters.
- For the date, in order to minimize the inconvenience to employees, the weekend is the ideal time or a day when the company is closed. If, of course, you do not close, move on the day when the activity is the lowest. The employees to thus have an operational position as of Monday.
- As for time, if you have to meet a deadline, you will need an almost military organization. To avoid disrupting business continuity or to limit the impact on customers and the company’s service as much as possible, performing the operation at night will be the ideal time. While this can create more constraints, it can limit losses.
The cost of moving an IT asset
Transport, labour, working time, packaging… so many details that unfortunately have a cost. A move of computer equipment takes time and requires mobilizing resources, the CIO and his team will be very solicited, but for this to happen at best it will be important to mobilize even more people: electricians, handlers, developers, computer scientists.
When it comes to transportation, hiring a specialized company can be expensive. Generally you will need between 200€ and 400€ per post.
To conclude, take your time, organize yourself well so that the day D everything happens for the best. But also think about the fact, that with ceBox® your move will be much faster and especially you will cost less.